Python needs a CPyAN

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Wed Nov 3 02:16:18 EST 2004

"John Roth" <newsgroups at jhrothjr.com> writes:

> "John Hazen" <python-list at hazen.net> wrote in message
> news:mailman.5838.1099425921.5135.python-list at python.org...
> 1. Where do I store the module? I don't have a web site, and
> it isn't on sourceforge.

Ok, that's a definite need. Possibly python.org could host a mechanism
to allow people to post modules. I'd do it myself, but I'm not sure
how long I'm going to have my current net connection for.

> 2. For what I've done, the standard installer script required
> for PPI is stoopid. All that's really needed to install is unpack
> to the right directory. That's it. However, to use distutils I
> had to write a packager program to create all the entries
> I needed. This took me quite a few hours and left a very
> sour taste since a lot of things that I thought should have
> been automatic weren't.

I found the standard installer script trivial to set up. If it took
hours, then you're doing something wrong. It even made it possible for
me to distribute C modules to Windows, whereas those trying to build
the module on Windows prior to me putting it into distutils never
succeeded.

        <mike