generic way to access C++ libs?

Neil Hodgson nhodgson at bigpond.net.au
Tue Nov 9 05:24:01 EST 2004

Gabriel Zachmann:
> >     The layout is also modified by various compiler options.
>
> really? that would mean that c++ libs themselves are
> not binary compatible among each other?

   I was thinking in terms of Microsoft C++ options like the vtordisp
setting used to handle virtual inheritance (/vd0 or /vd1), pointer to member
representation (/vm*), and the old favourite struct alignment (/Zp*).
Borland adds options for allowing small enumerations to take only one byte
(-b-), zero size empty base classes (-Ve), zero size empty members (-Vx),
and a layout compatible with old compiler versions (-Vl).

   Much of the time C++ code only has to be compatible with the other
modules it is delivered with. So long as all the modules use the same
compiler flags, this will be achieved.

   Neil