[web_framework] Basic Question regarding web framework

Jim Smith jbzsmith at lycos.com
Sat Nov 27 14:02:52 EST 2004

Francis Lavoie wrote:

> I have some knowledge with PHP and JSP.
>
> Secondly, I would like to receive any advice on which webframe is best.

Each of the frameworks uses a different approach and has different
strengths and weaknesses.  It depends on which one fits you brain the
best.  The evaluation process can take a fair amount of time.

> Is webware is a good choice?

- Webware - Works well, but requires an application server that
communicates with the web server.  This is difficult in many hosting
situations.

A few that I like that work in most hosting environments are:

- Quixote - A programmer's approach.  You write a program that has
subroutines that create the web pages.  This one either fits your brain
or it doesn't. If you view your site as a program this is good choice.

http://www.mems-exchange.org/software/quixote/

- jonpy - A better CGI.  It provides an object oriented interface for
writing CGI programs.  I like it for its simplicity.

http://jonpy.sourceforge.net/

- Spyce - Python Server Pages.  Web pages with embedded python.  The
ability to embed Python chunks including proper indentation is very nice.

http://spyce.sourceforge.net/

All of these work well, it just depends your style.  If you are looking
for something close to PHP then I think Spyce is your best choice.

Good luck,

Jim