newbie question: should I learn TKinter or skip it and learnmoreadvanced toolkit?

Andy Baker andy at andybak.net
Wed May 12 10:20:40 EDT 2004

I started with Tk and dropped it on horror when I  realised it had no
muti-column list box. Shame coz it is better documented than anything else.

Next I tried Wx I am on Windows so the dependency issue wasn't a problem and
the install was easy.
There are some great example files and documentation is getting better but
it is rather less Pythonic than I would have liked and you find yourself
reading C++ docs and mentally translating them. Not the kind of thing I got
into Python for!

Which brings us to Wax. I really hope this project takes off as it seems the
perfect solution. It is definitely usable. I am going to use it where I can
and learn enough wx to fill the gaps where Wax doesn't reach. Hopefully when
my Python-fu improves I might even be able to contribute!

I think it should be possible to mix wx and Wax code quite easily although I
am at an early stage of my investigations.

pyQt doesn't look like an option on Windows and pyGTK looks like it is even
less documented than wx although I may be wrong here.