programming video manipulation

Olivia Robinson robino at rpi.edu
Tue May 25 15:15:39 EDT 2004

Hi,
I am an artist who creates interactive video installations that are
controlled using a set of sensors, a microcontroller, computer and
video projector.  Currently I am using MAX/MSP and Jitter to program
how information collected from the sensors then is used to manipulate
pre-recorded video footage.

I have been investigating Python as an alternative to using
MAX/MSP/Jitter to program the collection of information from the
sensors and the resulting video manipulation.  I have not been able to
find information about manipulating video with Python, or collecting
information from a microcontroller.  I have heard that I may need a
library of commands already written in C or C++.  Does anyone have any
information about using Python with microcontrollers or manipulating
video?  Ideas?

My current programming experience is limited to using MAX/MSP/Jitter
and Macromedia Director.

Thank you much for your time,
Olivia