tkinter problem ...

Adelein and Jeremy adeleinandjeremy at yahoo.com
Tue May 4 18:01:07 EDT 2004

I just recently posted about this very same problem. In fact, I had
dug a lot deeper, and even "fixed" the problem for my platform
(RedHat 8.0/9.0), but I am left very unsatisfied. The fix I use is
incredibly crufty, requiring an environment variable to be set so
that the proper library path is used - every time I want to run
python. I never received a response to my post, and I am tempteed to
believe that there is a bug, but as I have not read *every* bit of
documentation, config file notes, and source code, I am not going to
go claiming so. Oh and by the way, IDLE still won't work correctly -
my fix simply allows me to import Tkinter in the interpreter (not
even in a script).

I know there must be a better way, because I have never experienced
any problems with tkinter/idle/python before v2.2, so I am ignorant
of something, and I am even ignorant of what that something is. Or
maybe it really is that there is a usability bug in that the
installer assumes it knows where tcl and tk libraries are, instead of
looking. But I just don't know enough to say so authoritatively, and
your problem may be different than mine (as may be your platform).

Strangely, I have seen on this list some saying that tk is dying off,
and that we should use wxPython. But tk is usable by Tcl, Perl, Java,
Scheme, and a few others, and I doubt that wxPython has that going
for it, so I remain incredulous. Also, IDLE is written for tk, not
for wxPython. Your problem is definitely what the previous respondant
said, viz., you are either missing the tk library interface file (eg,
tklib.so or tklib.dll), or your Python can't find it. I hope for your
own sanity that the problem is the former only and not the latter, as
this has caused me a lot of grief lately.

I wish you better luck, and request that whatever the problem, you
post back with specifics about it and its solution should you find
such a solution.

- Jeremy