socket.gethostbyaddr() doesn't show existing aliases

Sibylle Koczian Sibylle.Koczian at Bibliothek.Uni-Augsburg.de
Mon Mar 22 09:22:23 EST 2004

Hello all,

the documentation for the socket module says that gethostbyaddr should
return the primary host name and alternative host names if there are
any. But the alias list is empty even in cases where I know aliases
exist. I can get them using gethostbyname_ex, but that only works with
names, not with IP addresses, and I want to resolve both sorts.

I'm using Python 2.3.2 on Windows NT4, SP6.

What's wrong?

Thank you,
Koczian

--
Dr. Sibylle Koczian
Universitaetsbibliothek, Abt. Naturwiss.

Tel.: (0821) 598-2400, Fax : (0821) 598-2410
e-mail : Sibylle.Koczian at Bibliothek.Uni-Augsburg.DE