Any Python Hackers Wanna Beta Test????

Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
Wed Mar 10 03:00:07 EST 2004

Miki Tebeka wrote:

> Hello Tim,
>
>> How about something like this:
>> -------------------------------
>
> See http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/231516
> (shameless propaganda :-)
>
> HTH.
> Miki

Hi Miki -

I considred something like this, but I don't actually want a full blown
language available to the end-user.  Too easy for them to blow things
up.  I am working on something that is essentially almost entirely
a lexical substitution (aka macro) engine.  The only "logic" will be
conditional inclusion of selected statments and simple string
substitution.  I may also add lexical namespaces since this is easy to
do.

The idea is to hand the configuration module the name of a config file
(which may .include other such files as it wishes) and have that
module return a symbol table with (name, val, val, val) tuples.
Then it is up to the application to do something about it.

I used a similar idea when I wrote 'twander' and now I want a more
generic version of it:

http://www.tundraware.com/Software/twander/

Cheers,

Tim Daneliuk     tundra at tundraware.com