SMS with python

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.net
Thu Mar 25 03:56:13 EST 2004

"Michael G. A. Sung" <aisung at bubblemotions.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.311.1080093619.742.python-list at python.org>...

> Anyone know how I can sent SMS with python script from desktop with a
> GSM phone attached let say a SE P900?

Having recently got into modern mobile telephony myself (SE T610),
it's tempting to look into something like this:

http://nelson.monkey.org/~nelson/weblog/tech/phone/pythonT616.html

So far, with respect to Linux and mobile 'phones, at least, I've had
most success with the OpenOBEX application ircp. Meanwhile, obexftp
just acts in a highly cryptic fashion, whilst gnokii seems to talk to
the 'phone but doesn't understand how to get what it's looking for.
It's tempting to look into a Python wrapper for OpenOBEX, but the most
recent attempt at this seems to be somewhat dated:

http://www.ravioli.pasta.cs.uit.no/open-obex/

Paul