Python reference

JanC usenet_spam at janc.invalid
Wed Jun 9 20:44:54 EDT 2004

Neil Benn <benn at cenix-bioscience.com> schreef:

>     So, following behavior of docs I would expect from other language's,
> I go to the module index and it gives me the definitions for all the
> functions for the String 'module' but not the String 'object'.  So,
> thinking - OK, it a could be in the language ('library') reference, I'll
> look in there - I know that a String is a sequence so it may have a
> reference there but I get a link back to the string module.

"Library reference"
<http://docs.python.org/lib/lib.html>

Strings are a built-in sequence type, so: "2.3.6 Sequence Types"
<http://docs.python.org/lib/typesseq.html>

At the bottom is a link to "2.3.6.1 String Methods"
<http://docs.python.org/lib/string-methods.html>

The only "problem" I see is to remember strings are sequences, which is not
something everybody new to Python will think about immediately.

Maybe it would help if the "contents" on the front page would show 4 levels
of headers instead of 3 levels now?

--
JanC