terminological obscurity

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Jun 1 18:38:28 EDT 2004

Arthur wrote:
> "Is green" doesn't help us if the list does not cohere around the
> concept of color.

Correct. Any kind of predicate involving functions requires that
a certain base domain is used on which these functions are total.

> And the above sentences implies, and I could independently imagine, a
> list might cohere around nothing more then the concept of existence.

Correct. Of course, people typically collect things in a collection to
have algorithms operate on the elements of a collection, so a collection
of all things that exist would not be useful, and would be difficult to
create.

> But of course the possbility of including non-exitence data does not
> exist. Which makes the notion of homogeneity around that concept
> meaningless.

Indeed.

> So I have, after consideration, decided to outlaw,  if not the
> terminolkgy itself (even its its most general form),  than at least my
> own efforts to find  meaning in it.

You find the term "color" meaningless because there are things it
doesn't apply to? Is there any term in the universe (or, perhaps
even in the English language) that you find meaningful?

Regards,
Martin