[ANN] HTMLTemplate 1.0.0

has has.temp2 at virgin.net
Wed Jun 2 15:06:36 EDT 2004

Pete Prodoehl <pete.prodoehl at cygnusinteractive.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.510.1086184797.6949.python-list at python.org>...

> This HTMLTemplate is quite different from the other HTML-Template's I've
> seen...
[...]

I confess that the potential for confusion didn't occur to me till
fairly late on. I just chose the name because it was self-explanatory
and didn't clash with the name of any existing modules for the same
languages, and didn't realise that html-template modules for other
languages were similarly derived from a single common source. Guess I
should hurry to snap up any as-yet unaffiliated languages before the
competition gets there first...;)

> I believe these all share the basic idea of using a common templating
> language within your HTML documents (which can be valid, if using <!--
> comments --> for the tags.)
[...]
> The nice thing about this is that once you learn the templating tags, it
> doesn't matter what language you use, so you could change the backend
> from Perl to Python and not even have to change any of your templates.

I've heard this said before, but am curious just how much of an
advantage it really is? I'd have thought reimplementing an entire
backend would be a much bigger task than porting templates and a
relatively rare occurence in practice; not sufficient in itself to
justify learning a second language in the first place. Anyone got any
practical experience in this and can comment?