Too many return-statements = bad style?

Pierre-Frédéric Caillaud peufeu at free.fr
Fri Jul 9 04:17:23 EDT 2004

	I do it just like your style.
	I tend to put tests at the beginning of the function and evacuate all
error cases with returns or throwing exceptions.

	This is readable :

	if not something_to_do:
		return
	else:
		big blob of code

	Or even :
	if not something_to_do:
		return

	big blob of code

	This can get you lost if the big blob of code is large so the if is
offscreen :
	if something_to_do:
		big blob of code
	else:
		return

	Basically I often  arrange my if's so the 1-2 lines block is just below
the if and the 20 lines block is after the else...