Typed Python?

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Fri Jul 9 00:48:27 EDT 2004

Jacek Generowicz wrote:

> In Haskell, both
>
>     f 1
>
> and
>
>    f 1 2
>
> will work, while in Python you have to install the plumbing yourself
> every time.

But what does this have to do with Scheme, which was the subject of
conversation? We were trying to decide what deep computer science
concepts you could learn from Scheme that you couldn't from Python.

One thing I find interesting about these deep computer science concepts
seem to be mostly just language features. I mean Java is in some sense a
really good computer science language because of all of the threading
stuff it has: you'll learn about concurrent programming better with Java
than with R4RS scheme!

It might be interesting if someone rewrote SICP for Python...would
Python exhibit big conceptual gaps?

  Paul Prescod