Rationale for core Python numeric types

Brian Quinlan brian at sweetapp.com
Fri Jul 16 09:16:27 EDT 2004

M. Feinstein wrote:
> I don't want to get all pissy about this, but apart from some useful
> pointers about how to deal with binary data and some not-so-useful
> suggestions about what I should go do with my problems, no one has
> answered my original question. Should I conclude that there is no
> rationale for core Python numeric types?

There is a great rational for Python's core numeric types: they provide
a reasonable comprimise between performance, features, simplicity and
ease of implementation.

Could you please give an example of an operation that you want to
perform where Python is hindering you i.e. show us a big of C code and
we'll translate it for you.

> Should I just go dunk my head in a pail of water and take a deep breath?

That's probably not a good idea.

Cheers,
Brian