Printing variable names

Nuff Said nuffsaid at phreaker.net
Sun Jan 18 15:16:27 EST 2004

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 11:22:08 -0800, Mike wrote:

> mylist = [a, b, c]
>
> I want to print out the names of the variables in mylist (not the
> values of a, b, and c).  How do I go about doing this.  Thanks.

The following example shows that this does not really make sense:

    a = 1; b = 2; c = 3;
    mylist = [a, b, c]
    a = 4; b = 5; c = 6;
    print mylist
    print a, b, c

Result:
    [1, 2, 3]
    4 5 6

and *not*:
    [4, 5, 6]
    4 5 6

You might want to google for 'Python object reference' etc.
Moreover, having a look (e.g. in the tutorial) at how Python
passes arguments to functions (mutable and immutable objects)
might help to get a better understanding of what is going on
behind the scenes.

HTH / Nuff