personal document mgmt system idea

Stephan Diehl stephan.diehlNOSPAM at gmx.net
Tue Jan 20 11:58:29 EST 2004

Sandy Norton wrote:

Hi Sandy,

looks like this will be the year of personal document management projects.
Since I'm involved in a similar project (hope I can go Open Source with it),
here are some of my thoughts.

> Hi folks,
>
> I have been mulling over an idea for a very simple python-based
> personal document management system. The source of this possible
> solution is the following typical problem:

[...]

> The first problem I've run into is that mysql or the MySQL
> connector crashes when the size of one BLOB reaches a certain point:
> in this case an .avi file of 7.2 mb .

Just dump your files somewhere in the filesystem and keep a record of it in
your database.

In addition, a real (text) search engine might be of help. I'm using swish-e
(www.swish-e.org) and are very pleased with it.

Maybe, before you invest to much time into such a project, you should check
out the following:

Chandler (http://www.osafoundation.org)
        if it's finished, it will do excactly what you are aiming for (and it's
        written in Python)

ReiseFS (see www.namesys.com -> Future Vision)

Gnome Storage (http://www.gnome.org/~seth/storage)

WinFS