[Numpy-discussion] Status of Numeric

Humpty Dumpty oliver.schoenborn at utoronto.ca
Wed Jan 21 13:31:01 EST 2004

"Paul Dubois" <paul at pfdubois.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.533.1074574795.12720.python-list at python.org...
> Having two array classes around is a terrible idea. Once you have two
> popular array classes the entire world bifurcates. This plot package

I second that vehemently.

> I only suggested we do numarray because Numeric was, by general
> agreement, unmaintainable.  It was hard to work on and lacked the kind
> of robustness necessary to get permission to put it in the core. We all
> agreed Numeric would cease. Let's stick to the plan.

However, I think experience has shown that users tend to go for better
performance rather than better design.

So why couldn't Numeric be redesigned for maintainability, but keep the
algorithms that make it more performant than numarray?  Does the interface
need to change?

Oliver