what would you like to see in a 2nd edition Nutshell?

Wed Dec 29 11:17:37 EST 2004

Alex Martelli wrote:
> I'm considering proposing to O'Reilly a 2nd edition of "Python in a
> Nutshell", that I'd write in 2005, essentially to cover Python 2.3 and
> 2.4 (the current 1st edition only covers Python up to 2.2).
>
> So, if there's any advice or request about a 2nd edition of the
> Nutshell, this is the right time for y'all to let me know.  Feedback is
> welcome, either privately or right here.  Thanks in advance -- _and_
> apologies in advance because I know I just won't be able to accomodate
> all the requests/advice, given the constraints on book size &c.

  * code coverage tools for python code (testing your tests).
  * new-style classes forward and old-style shrunk.  "best practices"
    such as "always super(class, self).__init__(...)" and why even if
    why is only a forward reference.  Using Left(object), Right(object),
    Top(Left, Right) would be good for the example.
    ** Fix the examples in "Inheritance in new-style object model", the
       diagram, and the following example in "cooperative superclass
       method calling" to use the same hierarchy.  I personally prefer
       the A(object), B(A), C(A), D(B,C) hierarchy, but they should
       match.
  * implementing types/classes in C -- a checklist w/ advice on testing.

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org