Prothon is switching to the .NET platform

John Roth newsgroups at jhrothjr.com
Fri Aug 6 15:00:41 EDT 2004

"Christopher T King" <squirrel at WPI.EDU> wrote in message
news:Pine.LNX.4.44.0408061247130.22947-100000 at ccc8.wpi.edu...
> On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>
> > So now I'm a bit disappointed to hear that you're giving all that up
> > and switching to the CLR.
>
> Ack!  I was looking forward to playing with and hacking on Prothon in the
> future (I'm a big fan of prototypes), but .Net is a big turnoff
> (especially coming from the Linux side of things).  Is this happening
> primarily to provide immediately access to large code libraries?

I think it's possible to do prototypes within Python by
overriding the __getattribute__() magic method. It still
wouldn't be very pretty, but it should be able to do
everything except override the magic methods (those
seem to have to be in the class object for new style
classes).

John Roth