Python indentation deters newbies?

Andrew Durdin adurdin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 01:08:22 EDT 2004

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 00:44:32 -0400, Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:

> I'm curious why more people don't have "neat!" as their very
> first thought on encountering this, rather than "yuck!".

When I first encountered python, my response was "yuck" also, though
replaced in a few days with "neat". Having programmed quite a bit in C
(with explicit begin and end markers), as well as Basic (with explicit
end markers only), I think the initial reaction was mostly due to lack
of acclimatisation to having no explicit block end-markers.