Confused about pep 318

Anthony Baxter anthonybaxter at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 00:10:12 EDT 2004

On 5 Aug 2004 23:43:29 -0400, Aahz <aahz at pythoncraft.com> wrote:
> Also, there has historically been an expectation that PEPs will be
> posted to comp.lang.python in their final draft form;

That's news to me, although I think it's probably a good idea.

> while I agree with
> you that python-dev is a public forum, I think the outrage expressed by
> those who believed that they didn't *NEED* to monitor python-dev is
> entirely understandable.

I'm not sure what additional benefits would have come from some more
advance notice of this to c.l.py, in addition to python-list.

I don't think the outrage would have been any less from the people
who _really_ don't like the feature. The folks who just don't think
decorators belong in the language, in any form, can hardly have
missed the frequent mentions in Brett's python-dev summaries.

Additionally, anyone who has a great alternative still has time to get
their idea in instead of the @syntax. If anything, the availability of the
current form in a released (alpha) of Python makes it easier for people
to actually play with it and see what they think - this is something that's
much harder to do from a proposal.