python under subversion (svn)

Richie Hindle richie at entrian.com
Tue Apr 27 10:58:17 EDT 2004

[Harry]
> I'm experimenting with svn.  [...]
> Should I be totally replicating the whole project under trunk and each
> branch, instead of trying to keep some items on the trunk?

Yes, I believe so.  The way to get to where you want to go is to import your
project onto the trunk, then create a branch by taking a copy of the entire
trunk project (which sounds expensive but isn't).

You also need to decide whether your trunk and branches will live at the top
level with the projects underneath them, or whether the projects will live
at the top level with the trunks and branches underneath them.  Because of
the way I'm traditionally accustomed to using CVS, I prefer to think of the
trunk and branches as top-level concepts with the projects living within
them.  Hence I'd do something like this:

After import:

trunk/
  myproject/
    doc/