Python 2.2.x core dumping

Leland Woodbury google at lelandwoodbury.com
Wed Apr 14 19:23:14 EDT 2004

We have a stable Python app that's causing Python 2.2.1 and 2.2.3 (on
Solaris) to core dump with segmention violation on certain new inputs.
 The core files have their stack trashed, so we don't have a lot to go
on other than the obvious indication of a memory problem.  We moved
the app to Linux so we could run valgrind on it, that pretty much just
told us that we're getting a stack overflow, which is a clue, but I'm
not sure what to do with it.

One obvious alternative is to upgrade to Python 2.3.3, but this has
some local consequences that I'd rather avoid until I have some
assurance that it will solve the problem.

Anyone have any advice on next steps to track down the problem?

Thanks for whatever you know.