CamelCase versus wide_names (Prothon)

Jack Diederich jack at performancedrivers.com
Fri Apr 16 22:26:46 EDT 2004

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 08:33:39PM -0400, Peter Hansen wrote:
> Jack Diederich wrote:
> >I'm a wide_case_fanboy, having done mixedCase and wide_names over the last
> >fifteen years.  It all comes down to personal preference, of course.  IMO
> >mixedCase people tend to be younger, and younger people tend to be more
> >zealous on newsgroups.
>
> Define "younger".
.. than "me"
specifically people who know close to one language.

Generally I've been happier with each language I've ever programmed in,
and have been choosier at each junction.  By the time I got out of uni it
was C++, branching out into Java and Perl and settling on Python for a few
years now.  With many more (Objective C, Lisp, Haskell) used along the way
for hobby projects.  You start with what you know and then get pickier
once you know more about what exists.

Strength of the belief that you have found the one true way is inversely
proportional to the number of things you have tried.  Java and VB folks
are more likely to have an N of one and a belief approaching unity.  They are
also more likely to be mixedCase people. That is my opinion.

Variable naming isn't high on my list of religious wars[*], I mentioned in
my other post I do write both mixed and wide words depending on the codebase.

But when I get to pick, I pick wide words.

-jackdied

[*] for vi lovers, I've been know to order light beer 'by accident' when
buying a round.  Not really, but that is how tepid I am about my emacs
preference.