Python OS

Peter Maas peter.maas at mplusr.de
Tue Apr 13 05:35:00 EDT 2004

A Evans wrote:
> I have a question concerning the development of Python Based Operating
> System. You see I have had sort of a dream to develop an Open Source
> Operating System that would revolutionize the OS market and Since I started
> using Python I have fallen in love with the language.

The first step would probably be to define a Python OS. Surely no
CPU speaks Python :) so this is a level where you have to use
machine language. A viable definition could be an OS whose high
level functions are provided by Python scripts.

You could start with e.g. www.linuxfromscratch.org and write all
scripts in Python. Twisted (www.twistedmatrix.com) would probably
fit well to such a project because it provides a lot of network
services. I have no idea how deep you can go but I think that a
lot of C in between is necessary.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen,

Peter Maas

Peter Maas, M+R Infosysteme, D-52070 Aachen, Hubert-Wienen-Str. 24
Tel +49-241-93878-0 Fax +49-241-93878-20 eMail peter.maas at mplusr.de