When did Windows start accepting forward slash as a path separator?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Fri Sep 26 04:14:10 EDT 2003

In article <GpScb.123559$hE5.4229137 at news1.tin.it>, Alex Martelli wrote:

>>> Does anyone know when that change occurred?  Was it with the introduction
>>> of support for long filenames in NT and Win95?
>>
>> I'm not aware that there has ever been a "change".  '/' has been OK since
>> the early DOS days.
>
> I _think_ (can't be sure...) that at a C-libraries level the switch
> occurred either between DOS 1.0 and 1.1, or at the time of release of
> 2.0.

I don't think 1.0 had a hierarchical filesystem at all did it?

IIRC, it was basically the same as CP/M 2.2 and had nothing other than a
"root" directory on each floppy [IIRC, CP/M 3.x had some concept of multiple
directories on a floppy but it wasn't a tree structured FS with "paths" --
it was more like partitioning a floppy into multiple drive letters.]

By the time I got my hands on IBM machines 2.x was in common use, so I only
had a brief exposure to 1.x.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  .. I want to perform
                                  at               cranial activities with