needs help in how to translate ≴ and ≵

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Sep 18 17:09:35 EDT 2003

Jeff Epler wrote:

> (I think that's a less-than symbol, "<" above an equivalent symbol (~)
> with a vertical bar through it, but I really can't tell in this font...)

While this is all true, I believe the OP *meant* to talk about &8220;
and &8221; respectively:

 >>> unicodedata.name(unichr(8220))
'LEFT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK'
 >>> unicodedata.name(unichr(8221))
'RIGHT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK'

which, in some badly-designed font, may render as plain quotation marks
(and the OP indicated that he thinks those were plain quotation marks).

See http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2000.pdf for fonts that better
show the difference; the characters are U+201C and U+201D, respectively.

Regards,
Martin

P.S. This thread shows why it is better to literally copy-and-paste
into Usenet articles, instead of typing all program text in again.