OT: best book in years

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Fri Sep 5 19:41:59 EDT 2003

"Michael Peuser" <mpeuser at web.de> writes:
[...]
> Hofstadter: Goedel Escher Bach
>
> which probably everybody of our age has read but maybe not the younger
> generation ;-) And it is still entertaining, especially in a hospital...

Even better hospital reading material: Metamagical Themas.  Fantastic
stuff.  It's a collection of his Scientific American articles (he took
over Martin Gardner's column, "Mathematical Games" for a while,
anagram-izing the name in the process), with very worthwhile added
notes that weren't in the original columns.

I'm still waiting for his book "How to judge a book by its cover".
Perhaps it will include a chapter on extracting information from
unsupported negative opinions in USENET groups.  ;-)

Q. Why did Douglas Hofstadter cross the road?

[SPOILER SPACE]

[SPOILER SPACE]

A. In order to make this joke possible.

(joke credit: Eric Drexler, apparently)