OT: Americans love their guns

Al Kirke alkirke1 at comcast.net
Thu Sep 11 21:55:01 EDT 2003

"Skip Montanaro" <skip at pobox.com> wrote in message

>     Al> MY children were taught to handle firearms safely beginning age 5.
>     Al> Are yours?
>
> No, we're more intelligent than that.  We have no guns in our house.
>
> Why is this on c.l.py anyway?

It shouldn't be on the python group..  It was off-topic and I
should not have replied.

But in winding up, the fact remains that there is and has always
been a violent criminal element in  society, and none of us
expect this to change.  That being the case, without handguns
is there any protection against those elements?

The only statistics I know of that compare convictions of  Texas
carry-concealed license holders to convictions in the general
population are from the Texas Department of Public Safety.

http://www.tsra.com/DPS_convictions.htm

About a year ago a constable pulled me over for speeding. The
procedure for a driver is to hold both his drivers license and his
concealed handgun license out the window for the officer to
observe as he approaches.  Texas police are in general comforted
by the appearance of concealed handgun licenses, because
these guarantee that a convicted felon is not driving that car.

My (very) pretty daughter was in the car, and as the constable
was writing out the ticket, he spent some time telling my daughter
that the world is nastier now that it once was, and that she
should seriously consider getting her own CHL.

Remember, when you and your family are driving late at night,
that you're only a timing belt away from meeting new and
exciting people.

Cheers,

Al