Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme

Robin Becker robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Oct 8 19:07:24 EDT 2003

In article <h6Ygb.186263$hE5.6269806 at news1.tin.it>, Alex Martelli
<aleax at aleax.it> writes
>So, I hope the cultural difference is sharply clear.  To us, consensus
>is culturally important, we are keen to ensure we all keep using the
>same language; *you* would be happier if you could use a language that
>is different from those of others, thanks to syntax extensions you
>write yourself.  Since I consider programming to be mainly a group
>activity, and the ability to flow smoothly between several groups to
>be quite an important one, I'm hardly likely to appreciate the divergence
>in dialects encouraged by such possibilities, am I?

I'm fairly sure I agree with the central point. Average programming
should be understandable by a large population ie concensus.

However, I don't think that the comprehensibility argument is reasonable
against the far corners of a language.

I know that that that that that boy said is OK. There are deep corners
even in English.

Perhaps a truly expressive programming language should be allowed to
express truths about itself.

This statement is false. This language is inconsistent. Let's  do Geo.
Bool and have no far corners. No sir!

--
Robin Becker