Pickling Generators

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Fri Oct 31 17:42:42 EST 2003

Jenna wrote:

> Is there any work being done on pickling generators? I am just like

Armin Rigo has a C-coded module for deep-copying generators (with
lots of specific caveats) that may be of interest to you -- he
posted its URL to python-dev recently, as a part of a discussion
about _shallow-copying_ iterators (a much less ambitious issue) as
covered in PEP 323.  I think you can find his post easily in the
python-dev archives for October 2003, he hasn't posted all that
much recently.

> achieve it. If there is anyone working on this already I'd be happy to
> lend a hand. Any ideas/referals would be appreciated.

Come over to python-dev, lobby for it (you DO have very real use
cases, which is all Guido seems to want to hear about these days:-),
and particularly with your being willing to lend a hand you stand
a chance.  For Python 2.4, of course -- 2.3 is featurefrozenforever --
but as you did mention that a modified interpreter is OK for you,
you'll surely be able to snapshot 2.4 once this is done and/or turn
whatever changes to it are needed into a patch for 2.3.

Christian Tismer's "stackless" may prove easier to tweak this way --
sorry, no real idea; you should ask about that on the stackless ML,
as I don't think Christian is reading c.l.py these days.

Alex