Book Recommendation

Anthony sysfault at secureb0x.net
Wed Oct 8 16:20:47 EDT 2003

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 20:11:04 +0000, Cameron Laird wrote:

> In article <pan.2003.10.08.14.43.34.796599 at secureb0x.net>,
> Anthony  <sysfault at secureb0x.net> wrote:
>>Hello I'm currently trying to read Core Python Programming, but by the
>>looks of it im never going to get done the book is about 860 pages long
>>real intimidating, but im guess im going to have to stick in there. have
>>any of you ever read it? is it a good book? if not what do you suggest i
>>read. Please help me i'm eager to learn :)
>>
>>                                                  Thanks
>
> I like *Core Python Programming*.  My goals might differ
> from yours, though.  What are you after?  What's your back-
> ground?  Those probably determine more than the book itself.
>
> Perhaps <URL: http://www.unixreview.com/documents/s=7822/ur >
> and <URL: http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/PythonBooks >
> will interest you.

Well I know C, bash and i work with scripting alot i know the basics of
programming, incremental development, debugging, etc I wanna implement
gentoo's portage system which is completely written in python. I
wanna become a gentoo developer which requires me to learn bash and python
gentoo's ebuilds are written and portage in python. That means i have to
be a top notch python programmer I've read the first four chapters of the
book which is very good it doesn't play around it gets straight to the
point, but as i said the size, and weight of the book is intimidating. MY
mom bought me this book so i dont wanna just leave it here collecting dust
i might just have to pick it up and read it :)

                                                               Thanks