Python's simplicity philosophy

Alan Kennedy alanmk at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 11 11:49:11 EST 2003

[Robin Becker]
>>> The whole 'only one way to do it' concept is almost certainly wrong.

[Alex Martelli]
>> Bingo!  You disagree with the keystone of Python's philosophy.  Every
>> other disagreement, quite consequently, follows from this one.

[Douglas Alan]
> The "only one way to do it" mantra  is asinine.

I hate to interrupt anybody's free flowing argument, but isn't it the
case that Guido never said "There should be only one way to do it"?

My understanding of the "Pythonic Philosophy" is that "there should be
only one *obvious* way to do it", which is quite a different thing
entirely.

This philosophy is aimed at making python easy for newbies: they
shouldn't get confused by a million and one different possible
approaches. There *should* (not "must"!) be a simple and obvious way
to solve the problem.

Once one is familiar with the language, and all of the subtle power it
encompasses, anything goes in relation to implementing an algorithm.

Just my €0,02.

--
alan kennedy