new guy

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Tue Nov 18 11:31:54 EST 2003

In article <mailman.824.1069157039.702.python-list at python.org>,
nards_collective <nards_collective at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>I'm new to Python, in fact I'm new to programming. I'm trying to write
>a simulation program, for a biology class I'm teaching next year. the
>following code is giving me trouble and i can't work out why.
>
>	if e>= 1 :
>		a=e
>	else :
>		a=0
>

>I keep getting a syntax error.
>This piece of code is meant to keep the value of a equal to or grater
>than 0. Any odeas would be appreciated.
			.
			.
			.
Others have already spoken to the details of syntax.
The best help I can give is to recommend you read
Also, although it's nominally about a different language,
you might like <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/RequestHelp >.

Being "new to programming" is exciting!  You'll accelerate
your progress as you develop an instinct to change
  I keep getting a syntax error
  I see the specific syntax error, '...'
  [copied EXACTLY from the screen].

Python has a lot to offer, and already has many successes
in, biology and other physical sciences.  Some day the
references in <URL: http://
phaseit.net/claird/comp.programming/open_source_science.html >
might interest you.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at phaseit.net>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net