i found the perfect python web host with root access

Gerhard Häring gh at ghaering.de
Fri May 23 14:42:35 EDT 2003

Randall Smith wrote:
> I've been looking for an affordable web host that would let me run a
> continuous process (webware/webkit) and been dissapointed for a while. I
> heard something on a mailing list (maybe this one, I can't remember)
> about a $14.95 per month web host with root access !!!  So I did some
> searching and found velocityserver.com.  Sure enough, they have a 500 MB
> / 10 GB/Mo account with root access.  It is a virtual private server
> type setup. [...]

Using UML (User Mode Linux), uh?

You can get that even cheaper over here in Germany:
http://www.server4free.de/ - Virtual "root" server (UML), 1 GB web
space, 15 GB/month included traffic.

I opted for the "Entry Server" @ www.hetzner.de (Athlon XP 1800/256 kB
RAM/60 GB traffic/month; Debian or SuSE Linux preinstalled).

Hosting with a *real* server starts at EUR 29 @ www.server4free.de over
here.

Congratulations for you choice of getting a server of your own :-) I
find it's not worth my sanity working around whatever random
restrictions an ISP puts upon me in the "hosted" offerings.

-- Gerhard