GUI in Windows

morden morden at shadows.net
Thu May 29 21:01:42 EDT 2003

Chad Netzer wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 15:57, morden wrote:
>

>>Is QT more or less stable?
>

> What kind of stability do you mean?  If you are aksing whether it

Written in such a way that what you don't know can't harm you.
Motif seems to be a nightmare in this respect. Either the library
itself is very buggy or it promotes such use that the code written
on top is usually buggy. Maybe it's because of libXt. I don't know
and don't care. I don't want to end up in the same trap again.

> crashes, I can't say that I use it much (I don't even use KDE).  But it
> has a LARGE user base and MANY applications written using it, and many
> people who are familiar with it extoll the engineering behind it, so I'd
> say it is unlikely to be a source of many crashes (KDE and the open
> source users of it have helped make that so).  In fact, most bugs comes
> from misunderstood use of the toolkit, than from tollkit bugs

Ok. I want a toolking that leaves as little room for misunderstanding as
possible. Something written with an assumption that the user writing
the python gui code has an IQ of Forrest Gump.

> themselves.  QT has excellent documentation, and Tk has fairly good docs
> as well.  WxWindows and PyGTK I think have less thorough documentation.
> (please correct me, anyone, if that is wrong)
>
> If you are asking whether the programming API is stable, and not
> changing much from version to version, then I'd say "probably", although
> they are still adding features, and there will be small porting issues
> when upgrading to newer version (say from 2.x to 3.x).

API stability is not a top concern.

> Again, I'm not a user, but I have never heard heard an argument against
> QT based upon the quaility of the code or the implementation of the
> widget set.  Only licensing issues, and some esoteric framework design
> issues.
>

>>Ok. Since you claim that Tkinter is stable under Windoze I guess that
>>would be my bet then. Besides, I assume the code will run on UN*Xes also.
>

> I only claim that I've not about Tk being unstable, and you supplied no
> information about what *you* heard to make you think otherwise.  I've
> used Tkinter for years, and am looking to move away from it, because as
> my apps grow bigger, I want something that scales a bit better.  Tk
> takes a bit of work to keep track of everything, and is heavily geared
> toward "callbacks", which are evil.  You can program in a
> model-view-presenter style with Tkinter, but it takes a bit of work.  Qt
> and or wxWindows might handle these things a bit better.
>
> If QT's licensing issues are not a concern, I'd suggest you at least try
> a bit of PyQT programming.  Otherwise, use Tkinter and know that there
> is no common toolkit that is available on MORE platforms than it (at the
> moment).

Looks like Tk would be my choice then because of it's proven track record.