2.2.1 crashes on Linux (RH7.3) trying to load python shared library timemodule.so

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Fri Mar 28 14:30:19 EST 2003

    >>> 1. Why does 2.2.1 goes looking for timemodule.so in
    >>> /usr/lib/python2.2/lib-dynload/ even though I've built it statically
    >>> with prefix /u/local

Coming in late to this thread.  Sorry if this has already been mentioned,
but is "time" in sys.builtin_module_names?  If not, then the time module
wasn't statically linked into your interpreter.

    >>> 2. How could I tell configure that I want modules statically linked
    >>>    with libpython.a?

    >> I'm not sure I understand this question. Which modules? The ones of
    >> the standard Python distribution? They are never linked with

    morden> Yes. Stuff like timemodule.so that my program tries to load
    morden> dynamically.

If you want static linkage of extension modules, I think you need to
describe them appropriately in Modules/Setup.  I don't think there is any
static linkage specification in distutils (setup.py) or configure.

Skip