How do I get to *all* of the groups of an re search?

maney at pobox.com maney at pobox.com
Sat Jan 11 10:47:50 EST 2003

Tim Peters <tim.one at comcast.net> wrote:
> [Kyler Laird, discovers that a regexp group "in a loop" captures only
> the last place it matched]
>> Yes, and that surprises me.  It seems so obvious that it
>> should return all matched pieces and so arbitrary that it
>> only returns the last one.
>
> It would take potentially unbounded storage to remember all matches, and
> would also (at least) complicate the meaning of backreferences (what is \1
> supposed to match then?  "a list" of all strings ever matched by group 1?
> the catentation of them?  at least one of them?  a contigous slice of the
> string spanning the first and last places it matched?  etc).

The .net engine appears to do something like this, although the only
example I have for this (p. 431 of _Mastering Regular Expressions_, 2nd
edition) only shows it for a contiguous match, so it may or may not
actually do what Kyler wants - I just don't know.

Not that I'm really interested in promoting this, but... if it were to
be added, I would hope that backreferences would access the last of the
set of matches, preserving the existing behavior.  While this might not
be entirely surprise-free, it does score compatability points.  For
that matter, the existing API could be left unchanged, and the
additional information made available through an added interface - this
is more or less what .net does, although the exact syntax

  aMatch.Groups(2).Captures(n).Value

is a poor fit for Python's existing match object's interface, it does
suggest the sort of added interface that would be needed to handle such
an extension.

> gratuitous-novelty-is-harmful-ly y'rs  - tim

If only we could all agree on what was gratuitous and what was a Good
Idea... then again, maybe better to have the variety after all.  <wink>

--
A delicate balance is necessary between sticking with the things
you know and can rely upon, and exploring things which have the