best college for computer science major

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Thu Jan 9 23:28:35 EST 2003

Cameron Laird wrote:
> However, individual qualities remain more determinative of educational
> achievement than institutional ones.  I've got abundant anecdotal
> evidence of motivated people deriving more from low-prestige community
> colleges than better-heeled slackers doing at, say, Stanford.

As this may be relevant to the OP, I'd like to add that at a small college,
a highly motivated individual may be able to find and conduct more
interesting research to them personally.  Big schools, with large research
grants, will channel students into doing whatever research they are getting
money for (this has approached the status of a pathology in a lot of US
schools).

Whereas, a small college, whose budget is almost entirely based on student
tuition or state education funding, may very well be more open to students
conducting original work. The trick is just finding a sympathetic
advisor/professor to help you out with it. A motivated undergraduate can go
a long way that way (and professors love motivated students).

The point is, that at a small college you have a better chance of becoming
a local star student nstead of just rank and file, and you can use that to
your advantage, if you are both pioneering and self-motivated.  Of course,
there won't be a lot of money to be had, so you'll have to be prepared for
shoestring budgets.

Personally, I like that kind of challenge.

Cheers,
Terry

--
Anansi Spaceworks