Python web development, really

Jack Diederich jack at performancedrivers.com
Tue Jan 21 01:10:26 EST 2003

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 05:32:42AM +0000, Afanasiy wrote:
> On 20 Jan 2003 21:14:47 -0800, Paul Rubin <phr-n2003b at NOSPAMnightsong.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Afanasiy <abelikov72 at hotmail.com> writes:
> >> I was not aware Python required trade-offs involving memory or cpu use in
> >> order to compete with PHP. In my experience Python is much much faster for
> >> basic scripting. I hoped that speed could be put to use on a web platform.
> >
> >Benchmarks I've seen indicate PHP is considerably faster than Python.
> >That's not too surprising, since PHP is a simpler language and doesn't
> >have to do nearly so many dynamic lookups.
>
> Benchmarks I've done indicate very much the opposite. Perhaps you saw
> something for the zend optimizer, which I have not tested myself.
>
> Anyway, it does look like PHP is in fact my best option overall.

PHP is slow if you are doing an application engine.  It must load all the
source for each hit.  Writing a large app in PHP would also be ... hard.
It just isn't a first class programming language.

PHP is quick if you are doing a dynamic site without much application logic.
Alot more people know it, so it is easy to find or buy help.
It is fairly simple, so it is easy to bang pages out quickly.

I work on a largish web-based business app written in python.
But PHP was used to prototype it.

hope that helps,

-jackdied