iconify/deiconify catches in Tkinter

Eric Brunel eric.brunel at pragmadev.com
Thu Jan 9 04:37:57 EST 2003

v.wehren wrote:
> "Dave Martens" <davemartens at yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:mailman.1042010114.13709.python-list at python.org...
>> Hi,
>>
>>   As Tkinter people know, the destroy window
>> button (X) on a window can be caught, but I
>> cannot find any way to catch the other two
>> buttons (iconify and maximize).
>
> Taking a glance at the Tkinter modules would suggest that the protocol
> method  is pretty open. So,
> one would expect something like: w.protocol("WM_ICONIFY_WINDOW", callback)
> wouldn't one?
> Alas, doesn't seem to work...(at least not on win32)

I looked into tk's code (namely win/tkWinX.c) and I didn't find anything
concerning iconify/deiconify events. The WM_DELETE_WINDOW is explicitely
generated when the corresponding Windows event occurs, but nothing else
seems to be treated... So at least in tk 8.3.2, it doesn't seem possible.
Maybe with a later version?
--
- Eric Brunel <eric.brunel at pragmadev.com> -