Some thoughts about Python, python.org and non-English languages

Daniel Dittmar daniel.dittmar at sap.com
Mon Feb 10 12:04:27 EST 2003

M. Müller-Oertel wrote:
>> I've added a page to the wiki
>> (http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/PythonAroundTheWorld) and
>
> I looked at your wiki page and liked it. I also managed to click all
> the way down to it starting from the python.org main page. (Do it by
> yourself and count the clicks necessary!) Have to say it seems rather

I should have explained my intentions more clearly:
- Being able to edit pages on python.org requires certain privileges, so
most people will simply their links to the editor, hoping that they will be
integrated into the page
- most of the work of keeping a language specific page up to date consists
of getting links by email and pasting them to the page, which sounds rather
boring
- having these pages in the Wiki allows everyone interested to contribute
immediately
- this doesn't prevent you or someone else to consider themselves 'editors'
for a page and try to keep it current and organized
- once the pages in the wiki have decent content, one could ask again to add
some links on the frontpage of python.org using cute little flags or
something similar. This has happened with the Python-Editors page and I
think the python.org admins rather like to outsource this kind of content.

So create a nice page containing all the content you would like to see on a
language specific page and I think it will work out fine.

Daniel