Python license - Can I use it for my own software?

dsavitsk dsavitsk at e-coli.net
Fri Feb 7 21:31:23 EST 2003

"Tim Peters" <tim.one at comcast.net> wrote in message
> [dsavitsk]
> > Perhaps there could be a link from the main page to
> > python.org/licenses.html
> > which might bring up a page explaining the jist of the python licenses
and
> > pointing to all of the different versions?

* * *

> I would first ask you to
> consider that your interest in licenses may be extraordinary, though.  It
> certainly exceeds Guido's <wink>.

This is probably true, but there are lots of people who claim to release
things under the "Python License" (see
http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=194, and
http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=189) but this is
really nonsensical.

My assumption is that people want to release things with a Python-like
license but don't realize that using "the" Python license is not
appropriate.

-d