ANN: SharkyPy 0.2

Heiko Wundram heikowu at ceosg.de
Tue Feb 4 10:21:39 EST 2003

Am Die, 2003-02-04 um 15.45 schrieb Cameron Laird:
> You've got me curious.  Are you using this for experiments,
> and/or do you plan to do real distributed storage with it?
> I find the latter an exciting prospect.

I already do real distributed storage with it. It is used as a
backend-library for an online language tandem system, which allows you
to search several servers for possible language tandems. The current
version is at http://www.szsb.uni-saarland.de/tandem/ and is still
incredibly slow... ;)

SharkyPy by itself has several frontend libraries you can use to deal
with the information in the DHT:

1) A packet like library which stores packets in the DHT which can later
be retrieved. These packets are basically hashes, that are put under a
master-key (the DHT-table key), and which are stored in the table in
encrypted form (by using a public/private key mechanism). Each node/user
taking part in the DHT has a public/private key pair, which he can use
to encrypt his packets (either for himself, or also for others to read).
The DHT itself is used to store public keys for retrieval by others, and
the algorithm contains several methods to authenticate a packet by
checking the server who posted the packet and checking for signatures of
packets.

This algorithm is partially implemented (it works for me(tm))

2) A standard unauthenticated packet library which allows you to use the
DHT pretty much like a shelve, but distributes the contained
information.

This algorithm is fully implemented. (used in Tandem-Online)

3) A filesharing library which allows you to index files into the DHT,
and then retrieve them using BitTorrent. I tried to integrate some older
(and less complicated than the current) version of BitTorrent.

This algorithm is almost nonexistent (works for me locally(tm)... ;)).

I hope that I'll be able to put up the current version later this
evening some time... I'm having trouble accessing the server, and I'm
not the admin (anymore... ;))

Yours,

	Heiko Wundram.