Comments

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Apr 1 19:51:30 EST 2003

> What are the reasons for not having multi-line comments?

Because we more or less have them already -- the compiler can dump '''
''' strings that are not assigned to anything or otherwise used.

> I just remembered that IDLE will color-code """ as a string and not
> comment - even when it is intended only as a comment.

Unlike the compiler, IDLE does not know the differrence.

Once could propose that ###, for instance, delimit multiline comments,
but I suspect Guido would say, "Why bother?".

TJR