embeddable ide?

Gerhard Häring gerhard.haering at opus-gmbh.net
Wed Sep 4 12:01:25 EDT 2002

Stevek wrote:
> We're planning on making extensive use of Python to provide our users with a
> powerful scripting mechanism.  I've successfully embedded and extended
> Python but now I want to give the user a decent development environment for
> writing their scripts.
>
> I know there are several IDEs available for Python development, but I'm
> looking for one that can be used from within another application (embedded).
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If you're not using the same toolkit as the Python IDE, then I think this
will get very difficult, if not impossible.

If you're only targetting Windows, then I think PythonWin will be possible.

Anything that uses Scintilla will be a candidate. Perhaps it's wise to
outsource this task, like the producers of WingIDE?

-- Gerhard