Tkinter+CORBA+threads, two main-loops. Problems?

Duncan Grisby duncan-news at grisby.org
Thu Nov 14 08:32:56 EST 2002

In article <V1oA9.7256$Y2.175 at news2.bredband.com>,
 L Ekman <emil71se at yahoo.com> wrote:

>The problem is that both orbit-python-0.3.1 and Tkinter has
>"main-loops", and can not find a way to implement this in a
>single threaded program.

Tkinter is thread friendly, so you can run its loop in its own thread.
That will make life awkward with the CORBA interactions, though, since
ORBit-Python is not, AFAIK, thread safe.

I'd recommend using a multi-threaded ORB, like omniORBpy or Fnorb,
since then you won't have any problem in this respect. omniORBpy
doesn't even require you to give a thread to it at all -- it's quite
happy if you block your main thread in Tkinter. There are a couple of
demos in the omniORBpy distribution that use Tkinter.

Cheers,

Duncan.

--
 -- Duncan Grisby         --