timeoutsocket & sendall / Python 2.1

John J Lee jjl at pobox.com
Wed Nov 20 14:30:03 EST 2002

Dave Brueck <dave at pythonapocrypha.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.1037732191.28495.python-list at python.org>...
> On 19 Nov 2002, John J Lee wrote:
[...]
> > > I'm surprised that nobody has bumped into this before, which is
> > > why I'm posting it here -- I have a feeling I must be missing
> > > something.
[...]
> Yeah, it looks like timeoutsocket should get a sendall wrapper too - why
> don't you submit a patch to the module's author.

Thanks, Dave.  This is one of those 'so simple I must have made a
mistake' things, so I'm glad to have somebody else check it.

I sent the patch to the author, but no answer, so I assume he's not
maintaining it any more.

> Perhaps the reason that nobody has raised this concern has to do with the
> facts that sendall is relatively new,

Not *that* new -- 2.1 and 2.2 have been out for a while now.

> lots of socket code is non-blocking (and thus wouldn't use timeoutsocket),

And lots of code isn't.

> and in Python 2.3 sockets have timeout functionality built in?

But of course 2.3 isn't even officially out yet.

John