Win32 install questions

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Thu May 2 20:42:13 EDT 2002

[toman]
> This is more of a Wise question than a Python question. I'm trying to
> install Python-2.2.1.exe and win32all-146.exe as part of a larger
> installation. Are there command line arguments for these programs that
> can make them run silently (i.e. no GUI at all) and that can specify
> the target path for the installation?

Here are the Wise docs for installers built by Wise 8.14, used to build the
PythonLabs Windows installer.  I've never tried any of them, so you're on
your own after this.  I believe win32all uses a different version of Wise.

"""
/T
    Install in Test mode.
/X pathname
    Extracts files to pathname.
/Z pathname
    Extracts files to pathname, then reboots.
/M
    Runs installation in manual mode, prompting for
    system directories such as Windows, System, etc.
/M=filename
    Specifies a value file for installation. See Set
    Variable on page 293 for more information on
    reading variables
/M1
    Displays the name of each self-registering OCX or DLL as
    it is registered
/M2
    Reserved for internal use by Wise Installation
    System during debugging sessions
/S
    Slent mode, automatic mode with no user choices
"""

> So far I've found the /S flag which makes the Python install silent,
> but the win32all install still pops a progress bar. Is there any
> way around this?

Don't know, doubt it, and I expect you'll need Mark Hammond's help to make
progress.

> Also, I noticed that site packages have been moved to Lib/site-packages.
> Is this going to stay this way for the forseeable future?

I can more easily foresee my death <wink>.

iow-site-packages-will-outlive-me-ly y'rs  - tim